Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Do one thing a day that scares you

I have a lululemon bag that is always hanging off my chair, or on my closet door, etc and I'm always reading over and over and over again their mantras and the one that stands out to me the most is "Do one thing a day that scares you" -sounds silly - yes. but for someone like me - it makes complete sense and I really do try to take this into my everyday life, whether it be something small or something quite significant. 

I've been on a bit of a hiatus, and I apologize for the lack of posts, but it was ahhhh mazing! and
completely worth every second and dollar (or...dollars) that was spent in the beautiful city of New York!

As for doing one thing a day that scares me, I completely accomplished that, hands down!

Thursday - Taking a NYC cab from the airport to where I was staying - I still can't believe I made it out of that cab alive! haha... I was sliding on the leather, and believe you me, I was holding on to the seat handles for dear life, and I think at one point I was trying to find my ouija breath!

Friday - Touring the streets of NYC all by my lonesome AND taking subways! Clearly I survived, or I wouldn't be typing this right now but for a little Island girl - huge accomplishment! well done, Jenny!

 I fell in love with the city, when I walked out of my room onto the street and landed upon one of these:


A fresh fruit stand on borderline every corner! Beauty! I grabbed myself some fruit, grabbed a coffee and walked around with my camera as any tourist might do! I was literally bouncing down 10th and 6th ave - that is where Moksha Yoga NYC is located - I was pumped to be trying a class there - they were so friendly, their studio rocked, and I had a wicked 75 minute class with Jess!  Get This - The cork floor changes color (light pinkish) when you sweat on it - odd...I had to stop and take a second, I thought perhaps I was dying? Nope - just some random coolness they have as part of their studio! So all around my mat was a frame of pink spots and puddles! too funny!


Saturday - Bikram Yoga. WOW! 90 minutes in a super hot room lined with carpet - CARPET!?! Holy anxiety attack - ughk I get a strange feeling just typing that! I was thinking wow - how do you disinfect carpet on a daily basis? and I'm pretty sure the carpet holds in heat - could have been my anxiety talking! Clock on the wall, you can talk during class, not one downward dog in site, really great practice though- I definitely enjoyed it, I don't think it'd be something I would do daily, but it was fun to venture out! About 10 minutes in, I wanted to run out of the doors screaming - BUT I kept it together and completed the class!

Major Difference: You do every pose pose, even their form of pranayama breathing - which to me is a choking hazard, haha, seriousally, I'll show you if you ask!
So once I got through a pose, which is held for 60 seconds, you take a breath, and go into it a second time but to your full extension for a total of 30 seconds. I'd say Bikram is more of a mind game, because it's like phewf! I made it through...stand in tadasana, and BAM! fuck - I have to do that again - are you kidding?! and so there you go, doing it all over again, even camel!

Oh yeah! and at the first of class - the instructor comes in, introduces herself, and then gets the class to introduce ourselves one by one - a little frightening, but also a neat thing to do, then you don't feel like your stuck in a desperately hot room with a bunch of strangers! Now, you're stuck in a hot room with a bunch of strangers who know your name, so that when you get called out for doing fabulous or for doing a moksha pose  (hmm...wonder who that was?) - those strangers know exactly who the instructor is talking to! 


Sunday - I ordered what I wanted a restaurant *gasp*! I'm that person who goes out to eat ALL the time with friends, family, social gatherings, etc... BUT always, no matter what the situation, orders a salad. Don't get me wrong, I love salad, but sometimes I just want to order nachoes, or a wrap and fries or something - but nope - salad! Sunday - I went to brunch, which consisted of ceasars, eggs, sourdough toast, and a salad (instead of homefries) but still - kudos to me! I did it! And I enjoyed every last bit of it! If you could only imagine half of the battles I have with myself - you'd likely check me in to recieve your free toaster! Yup - this girls on a day pass ;) haha!


And there you have it, now I am back to reality,  with the quietness of Prince Edward Island and the desire to be back in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment