Monday, October 1, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor...

Today marks day 1 of MYC's 30 day challenge!!


This will be my 4th challenge, and honestly, it never gets any easier! Although I usually hit up a daily class, when you actually HAVE to do it, it seems a little tougher. A 30 day challenge is not only physically, but it is emotionally challenging as well, but yet it is such an amazing experience! I love how busy the studio gets, and how much energy is thrown around for these 30 days! It's lots of fun and such wonderful community support! I always say, I'll skip out on this one and just continue what I'm doing...but there is just something special about having your name on that board and accomplishing 30 days of Moksha! Looking forward to my first class tonight with K-dawg to kick it off!!



As of October I'm in the midst of 2 challenges, one being "Everything Pumpkin" and now the 30 day hot yoga challenge! I'll be a busy little bee! Less than a week left for my pumpkin challenge. It's been so much fun trying out all these recipes!

On to today's recipe! I have always seen scones, heard talk about scones, but never actually tried a scone, yet always wanted to bake a scone! Obviousally you see where this is going...

Terrible photo, but hey they were room-mate and yogi approved :)



Pumpkin and Cranberry Scones (from my fav cookbook by The Happy Herbivore)

Ingredients:
1.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tbsp sugar free maple syrup (regular if you wish) OR I bet you could use apple sauce!
1/2 cup pumpkin (pureed, not pumpkin pie filling-that has spices!)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (optional)
1/2 cup cranberries (if using dry- plump them as you would raisins, by adding them to some water or orange juice and allowing them to get rehydrated) - ***I used real fresh cranberries

Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice and whisk together to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients; pumpkin, maple syrup, and also your cranberries. Incorporate all ingredients together, scones make a dry dough(like biscuits) but if you think your dough is too dry and all your flour hasn't been incorporated, add non-dairy milk 1 tbsp at a time.
4. You can make these 'drop' scones by using a measuring scoop and dropping the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, or you can cut them into triangles (like Starbucks!). To make triangles, roll dough into one large ball and then flatten slightly. Cut the dough like you would cut a pizza! I first cut in half, and then divide each section into 'slices'.
5. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
What they should look like....



I was close....give a girl a break ;)


I tried a bite, and they aren't too bad at all, however I never had a scone so I don't even have anything to compare it too...I feel like if these are what scones taste like, I'm not really missing out, BUT I'm also thinking that because my scone has approximetely 15 grams less fat and about 300 less calories compared to the leading Starbucks Pumpkin Scone, that I'm better off not trying one ;)

Day 1 of the 30 day challenge...complete!
Day ...I forgot... of the pumpkin challenge.... complete!

JG OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment